Thursday, March 20, 2008

Lenovo ThinkPad T43

Why I purchased it: I was ready to replace my old Sony VAIO and had decided that a new Sony VAIO would not work for me because I insist on having a standard 14.1" monitor and Sony only sells widescreen ones. I had seen a ThinkPad owned by a manager and thought I would try them out.

First impressions: While very simple looking it still took my breath away when I pulled it out of the box! I was immediately impressed at how thin this laptop is. Even at over two years old, today this laptop is still thinner than most.

Build Quality: ThinkPads are known to be the most durable laptops out there other than the specialized laptops that look like a briefcase and cost twice as much. After using this laptop for over two years I still have not had any part of it break or wear out. The only signs of use are the small areas on the Spacebar, Alt and Tab keys, and left mouse button, that have lost their texture due to frequent use, and the scratched up Windows sticker. The best thing about the ThinkPad is that the 802.11a/b/g WiFi antenna is up in the monitor and not buried down in the computer which helps me be able to connect wirelessly where most people can't. The only disappointment is that there are only two USB ports but this has been changed in the more recent models.

Features: The ThinkPad has a sensor that triggers when the laptop is falling or bouncing which stops the hard drive and lifts the head off of it to avoid damage. It also comes with an optional fingerprint reader that allows you to login to Windows with only the swipe of a finger. Another surprise is the tiny white LED at the top of the monitor that aims down towards the keyboard illuminating it when needed. This is not near as cool as Apple's illuminated keyboard but gets the job done well.

Accessories: The laptop came with three or four different Trackpoint pads all with a different shape and texture designed to be interchangeable to suit the owners desire. The Trackpoint is the little red pad inbetween the G, H, and B keys on the keyboard which can be used to maneuver the mouse if you prefer that over the provided Trackpad. It also comes with a charger.

Final Words: I love my ThinkPad and tell everyone that they are the best! As long as Lenovo continues to offer a standard screen I will continue to purchase ThinkPads exclusively.

No comments: